Monday, July 8, 2013

Mighty Alice Goes Round and Round: A Cul de Sac Book



“Mighty Alice” centers around a girl, Alice, as she navigates through aspects of her four-year old life. The book covers everything from Halloween, to haircuts and her preschool class. This was the first book I read by Richard Thompson and I loved it! Alice and her friends were hilarious! The story made me think of my own family, like the way Alice and her brother Petey spoke. Their conversations made me laugh because I could picture my nephews saying the same type of unusual statements. They say the oddest things to us, and I enjoyed how Alice was filled with the same type of whimsy. I feel as though that is sometimes lost in novels when adults write from a child’s point of view. So I appreciated the tone of the novel. Also, I want to be a preschool teacher so I loved when Alice and her friends poked fun at their preschool’s curriculum. It made my day!  I could see the way lessons can sometimes feel condescending to the students, which made me rethink the way I plan on presenting lessons. I think what I liked most about this book though, was that it was fun, just plain fun. The comic strips were entertaining, funny and enjoyable for all. I can’t wait to read more by Thompson!

No comments:

Post a Comment